I certainly have a difficult time with the killing of any being for food. It's certainly not something I look down on others or criticize others for doing; it just is part of who I am and I can't kill something or eat something that was once alive (though, admittedly, I might kill mosquitoes and ticks...). As we populate the farm, the conversation regarding which animals to raise and for what purposes has been ongoing, lively, and, at times, colorful. Otter has decided to be a vegetarian, except on special occasions or when he knows the animals have been raised happy. Smoosh just does not like the idea of where meat comes from, but forgets quickly about the origin when faced with a plate of chicken or bacon. Bean has been a vegetarian for almost 3 years now. Squeaks would eat the meat raw off an animal if so permitted. Clearly, there is a wide range of thoughts and opinions on the matter, all of which are treated as respectfully as possible.
After much thought and consideration, we all agreed that raising turkeys for a Thanksgiving dinner was an idea
all of us could have some peace with. I would most certainly prefer my family eating meat from birds we have raised and loved from the get go. We found a local hatchery and ordered our first batch of turkeys, Bronze turkeys, a pretty generic breed that should give us an easy start for our novice poultry skills.

Squeaks claimed ownership of the turkey poults (as baby turkeys are referred to). She was the one who provided the food and water for the first few days, as well as several loving songs and lullabies.
She named her little turkey poults, Rose, Crystal, Flower, Headband, and Birdpot. Admittedly, I love the Birdpot name. It's right up there with the barn cat that she named Catsoup. I think we have about 10 different things named Rose around the place, ranging from fish to chickens, and now turkeys. As we are finding with most baby animals, turkey poults are stinkin' adorable. They make the cutest little sounds and have little brown spots on their heads. They have already grown quickly and now have a home outside in the coop with the other poultry.
No comments:
Post a Comment